Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Skins




(For Holly)

I want to peel off our skins
and hand them across
these ropes of barbed wire.
I will wear you and
you will wear me
like cloaks
so we can move
about hidden as
the thing we are supposed
to dread, and our eyes
would see different worlds
not so very far from our own.
If we could spit out the flavors
of stupidity and hate
from the safety of
the other side of the wall,
slip each other on and
clamor over the fence
into a no-man's land
beyond ignorance and fear -
fear that should be hollow,
ridiculous nothings
except for the lives
it crushes and the ones
torn in two separate,
ragged pieces of
you and me,
and your babies and my
babies, making it impossible
for them to find a way
to find each other.
I want to merge these hues,
this difference,
this otherness,
into a golden Oneness
of every shade
from the inside out
and see with our eyes
where it wounds so deeply
without spilling a single drop
of my own blood
except when it's dripping
from your veins
and taking us away
from each other,
from us,
from everyone.
I want to peel off our skins
and give them to each other
to wear
like life jackets
or survival suits
to keep our beauty
safe from hate
and protect the
hearts beating in our
chests for another day.

© H. Newberry, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment