Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Struggle by H. Newberry
















I stare outward around myself
vision fracturing with what I see
and I wonder in wounded horror-
have we always been...
frightened? selfish? complacent? ignorant?


As anthems and pledges and slogans
chant in tones of mindless devotion
my ears grow numb from trying to make sense-
have we always been...
self-serving? apathetic
? un-evolved? fragmented?


My mind flips through the sheets of damages
peeled from the flesh of so many
and I ache to understand-
have we always been...
callous?
base? cowardly? greedy?

My God-
I watch what could have been
a human soul retreating
from this world once more
and I can no longer hide
from the fact that we
have never been anything
other than masquerading animals
solitary in our pens
placated by our toys
making love to our pockets
and selling our children
on street corners
to the wolves
who reign inside us.

© 2015 - H. Newberry

No comments:

Post a Comment